Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Home. El Burro - Inbound.


So to the last  post on my South American travelogue. Again thanks for following along or taking time out to flick through the blog.

My life for 22 weeks on the road, ..it is surprising how little you need. I was still carrying what I didn't use, ever, a tent for example. But it gave me peace of mind that I could shelter if I broke down in the boonies....solo rider neurosis perhaps.


The hotel offered the option of bumping the bike up the curb you see and putting it under cover. El Burro has seen worse than a little rain and with that rear bearing nah.....she can get wet!


The last 12 miles....I took a back route rather than the toll road. It was no further in miles...but, it had a section that was unmade and rough, had I have known I may have spared the rear bearing this last few miles of abuse.

As I approached the airport I passed the cellphone parking lot, a global practice regardless of how many no parking signs might be posted. I have never seen a coach do it though.


We made it to the cargo area and were joined at 8.45 by the DakarMoto adventure rider icons, Sandra and Javier. Javier used to wrench in his own workshop, when I mentioned the rear bearing problem and the last 800 miles he simply shook his head, looked at me and shook his head again. Fortunately, Sandra holds the airside pass, so I didn't have to take any more non-verbal admonishment...LOL!


Focused, efficient and fast. Sandra knows how to work the system and was greeted by pretty much anyone who passed by. She kept apologizing for the slowness...I was out of there by 11.15am! Sandra, that is called slick...trust me.

The stages of encapsulation and screening...sneakily taken. Just like the cellphone lot no parking signs; the cargo area is a no photography zone; sorry.


Full body scan for El Burro but escaped a cavity search as far as I know. She blushes easily so will be happy with that.

Arrived home in Virginia yesterday morning, everything on time...thankyou Delta. El Burro landed in Houston this morning courtesy of United and has a connecting flight to Washington Dulles, moaning about the layover I wouldn't be surprised. Trucked to RIC airport arriving Friday.

That is it - journey done, mission accomplished. It has been the ride of my life (so far). Next?

Cheers.

Over and out.

T2


3 comments:

  1. Welcome Home T2! I hope to hear the 'untold' stories in person some time soon.

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home, John. It has been quite the adventure. I have enjoyed "riding" along with you by means of the blog. Fascinating stories and pictures of parts of the world I have no intention of visiting. Glad you made it home safely.

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great jib John!!! Thanks for keeping me in your adventure loop and for keeping my dreams alive. I'll keep your pictures and stories in my files to refresh the spirit of a real biker like you. happy you are back home safe.
    Don't wash El Burro and keep it as it is at the end, place it in the Dining room and ask Lyn nit to clean it!!!
    A big hug from Italy, a still happy BMW biker!!!

    ReplyDelete